Global and International Studies Building, 3041
Courses Recently Taught
- Golden Age of Islamic Civilization
- Islamic Texts: Tafsir
- Islamic Texts: Hadith Sciences
- Islam and Modernity
- War and Peace in the Islamic Tradition
- Islamic Feminisms
- Jihad in Islamic Texts
- Contemporary Issues in Islam. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2015.
- Striving in the Path of God: Jihad and Martyrdom in Islamic Thought. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013. Winner of the runner-up prize from the British-Kuwaiti Friendship Society (2014); World Book Award in Islamic Studies from the Iranian government (2015).
- "Shari'a and Fiqh" In the Oxford Handbook of American Islam. Ed. Jane Smith and Yvonne Haddad. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014. Pp. 174-186.
- "Martyrdom in Islam: A Historical Survey," in Terrorism, Martyrdom, and Religion: European Perspectives in Global Context. Eds. Dominic Janes and Alex Houen. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014. Pp. 40-58.
- "Islamic Feminisms: Gender Egalitarianism and Legal Constraints," in Social Difference and Constitutionalism in Pan Asia. Ed. Susan Williams. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014. Pp. 319-352.
- Senior Editor. Oxford Encyclopedia of Islam and Women. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Editor. Islam, the State, and Political Authority: Medieval Issues and Modern Concerns. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2011.
- "Where Heaven and Earth Meet: Remembering Muhammad as Head of State." In The Cambridge Companion to Muhammad, edited by Jonathan Brockopp, 180-98. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- The First Muslims: History and Memory. Oxford: Oneworld Publications, 2008. Winner of the Dost Award, Turkkad, Istanbul, 2013. Translated by Deniz Kaynak into Turkish as Ilk Müslümanlar: Tarih ve Bellek. Istanbul: Tuti Kitap, 2014.
- Excellence and Precedence: Medieval Islamic Discourse on Legitimate Leadership. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2002.
- Editor. Hermeneutics and Honor: Negotiating Female Public Space in Islamic Societies. Middle East Monograph series. Cambridge, MA: Center for Middle East Studies, Harvard University, 1999.
- "The Hermeneutics of Inter-Faith Relations: Retrieving Moderation and Pluralism as Universal Principles in Qur'anic Exegeses." Journal of Religious Ethics (2009): 331-45.
- "Obedience to Political Authority: An Evolutionary Concept." In Islamic Democratic Discourse: Theory, Debates, and Directions., edited by Muqtedar Khan, 37-60. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2006.
- "The Islamic State: Genealogy, Facts, and Myths." Journal of Church and State 48 (2006): 153–73.